What is our Foster to Adopt Program?
The foster to adopt (FTA) program allows families to select a dog directly from a southern shelter. The dog is picked up directly from transport and is fostered for 7 days to evaluate if they’re a perfect fit for your family.
After 7 days, the family decides between adopting the dog, or fostering the dog until a better matched family is found to adopt it.
- Guaranteed a dog from transport (no competition or waiting list)
- Longer time to spend with the dog to evaluate
- Better idea of personality
- Able to see the dog in your home
- Limited information from the shelter
- Health and behavior is not pre-screened by a foster
- Medical care is at the rescue’s discretion
- Dog is picked up directly from transport
Foster to Adopt Program Details
After spending 1 week with the dog, our foster-to-adopt liaison will contact you to set up a time to finalize the adoption. This is usually done within 3 days of deciding whether or not to adopt after the initial week. The dog is the property of NCCR until we receive your signed contract and payment.
In order to be approved for this program, you must submit an application that includes a veterinary reference (if applicable) and personal references.
A home visit will be conducted by one of our volunteers. Foster-to-adopt homes are held to the same standards that we would expect from our foster homes. In addition, applicants must sign the foster-to-adopt agreement which requires compliance with all of the foster-to-adopt terms and conditions.
If you are interested in this option, fill out the adoption application using the button below! Becoming pre-approved will give you both the option of traditional adoption or foster-to-adopt.